Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hardened Cider...

Howdy! Well this weekend saw the kickoff of my first hard cider, why make a hard cider you ask? Well because it seems that I am the only person online and with a few carboys who has not done this yet is why...it is also a tasty beverage.


After doing some homework on Northern Brewer (as you can see my research process off to the right consists of reading forums and drinking Saisons) I ended up deciding to utilize raisins, and Turbinado sugar to supply the yeast with some additional nutrients (raisins) and to give the concoction some amber hues while raising the ABV a bit (Turbinado sugar).

Process was very straightforward, which was much appreciated, I steeped the raisins in approx 1.2 gallon of the cider at 160F and held for 20 minutes just to be sure they were pasteurized. After doing so I put all 3 gallons (raisins included) into a glass carboy and pitched my yeast. The yeast I settled on was the Lalvin D47, which is intended for use with Chardonnay and Rose wines, neither of which are easy to find in a box (..okay..okay...so my wine appreciation does not stray far from the boxed variety...I'll work on it), seriously though this yeast looked great because it would not attenuate that highly (not as high as Champ. yeast anyway..) and also will work well in a wide range of temps (50F-85F), which suits me well in my climate controlled brewing operation (aka my office..on the ground next to my cpu). It has been 1 full day since then and the airlock is bubbling happily away...

I plan on letting this guy sit in primary for 2 months or so, then its off to secondary for another 1 or two months. I'm undecided if I will attempt to back sweeten at all..but I doubt I will.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment