Saturday, December 29, 2007

English Bitter-Ye Olde Time Miracle Elixir


Another "semi planned" brew session here. I find myself doing this more frequently nowdays..I will get a loose idea of what I want to brew, grow up an appropriate yet starter and crash it out in the fridge with the plan in mind to brew at some point within the following week.
Pic of Ye Olde Miracle Elixer to the right...directly in front of my Sanyo 4912 fridge...guess what thats going to turn into :)
And thats what I did here with the Ordinary Bitter (aka Ye Olde Time Miricle Elixir). It was a late Friday brewday which included 2 stuck sparges (yep I have forgotten my cardinal rule of no mashing without rice hulls) which I have found to be the most frustrating thing that can happen to me while brewing. On a side note my next hardware project will be a way to reinforce or apply a seal around the perimeter of my steel false bottom, or by opening up the diameter of my fittings round the drain valve. Anyhow...


This is basically Jamil Z's award winning recipe for his bitter and hopefully I can come close to that version (but I wont really have any other way of being able to tell if I do or not), the main intent of this batch is to get some homebrew back up on the shelfs here at home in a short time frame-I plan on bottling directly from primary in 1.5 weeks.


Grain:

-6 lbs Maris Oter

-.5 lbs Caramel 20L

-.35 lbs Special Roast


Hops: All US Kent Goldings-4.2% AA

-1oz U.S. Kent Goldings 65 minutes

-.75oz U.S. Kent Goldings 30 minutes

-.25oz U.S. Kent Goldings at flameout


Yeast: White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast

-Pitched 400ml slurry, decanted prior to addition.

Stats: 80 minute mash. Water to Grain Ratio 1.25 : 1 -Batch sparged
-154F at mash in -148F after mash-Sparge water temp 179


**Batch may be more fermentable than planned, after 2 stuck mashes.


-65 minute boil




04A. Bitter And English Pale Ale, Ordinary Bitter
All-grain

OG
1.042
FG
1.011
IBU
31
ABV
4.0 %
SRM
6





No comments:

Post a Comment