Saturday, December 1, 2007

Saison...

Hands down one of my favorite beer styles to enjoy..and has been for some time now. I've been looking forward to brewing my own version of this Belgian/French Farmhouse ale for a long time now..and coming off of both an insanely busy work week and a very interesting culinary week-we went to Anthony Bourdains book talk and signing earlier in the week..which was a great experience-I was ready to get some brewing done!

This beer is loosely based on Ommegangs Hennipin (which by the way is both one of my favorite Breweries-Ommegang, and favorites of this style- this Saison is amazing), a little more complex in terms of malt bill and process than a Saison Dupont, which is said to be made of only 1 malt-Belgian Pilsner, but was not by any means a complicated beer to make.

Knowing that the malt bill is fairly straightforward (Belgian Pils, Belgian 2 row, cane, and Belgian candy sugar my focus was primarily on getting the wort down to the mid 60's F and very carefully control the fermentation temps..starting mid 60's and ramping up to as close to 90F I can around day 10 in primary..this should be much easier to accomplish in the cold (and snowy as of today) winter season of Chicago (as should all my temp issues) than it was all summer here..which was brutal and a true challenge to keep temps under 80 in most cases.

I will update as primary moves forward. Cheers!

Fermentables:
Grain:
-7 lbs Belgian Pilsner -
-2 lbs Belgian 2-row (it came uncrushed so I had to take the roller pin to it...)
Other:
-1lb Belgian clear candy sugar
-1 lb Cane sugar
*Sugar accounts for 18.2% of the fermentables.

Hops:
Bittering:
-2oz Czech Sladeck 7.8%AA-80 minutes
Flavor/Aroma
-.15 oz of Bitter orange peel

Yeast:
-Wyeast Belgian Saison, 400ml yeast slurry started for primary.
Stats:
80 minute mash. Water to Grain Ratio 1.25 : 1
-Batch sparged
-152F at mash in
-148F at sparge
-No Mash out
-85 minute boil
-Irish moss added at 5 minutes to flame out
-Final Volume 4.5 gallons
-SRM-5 *This is one point below the low end for style.
-IBUs-31
-Original Gravity: ??? You tell me..my hydrometer went tits up and started letting in water..but according to my tastybrew.com calculations we should be right around 1.070.


1 comment:

  1. Covid-19 has a tough year ever but with the help of Mr Pedro loan offer I was able to get through because his loan offer of 2% really helped me alot and I 'm grateful to share on here that Mr Pedro offer loans at 2% rate also he can fund any type of legitimate business or seeking for personal financial assistance. Email: pedroloanss@gmail.com And Whats-App: +1- 8632310632

    ReplyDelete